|Purpose / Objectives
1. To evaluate the agronomic performance and iron content of transgenic lines containing ferritin seed storage protein or iron transporter genes or combination of both in IR64 background from lead events and events in observational trial.
2. To evaluate the effect of gene pyramiding in progenies of transgenic parents which have different GOI for increasing the iron content in the grain.
3. To identify the best promoter-gene combination to increase iron content in polished rice from the selected events.
4. To be able to evaluate the GXE effect from the evaluation of the lead events based on the performance from the first trial (2011 DS) and this trial (2013 WS).
5. To increase the seeds of selected events (1-1R64-IRS495-234, 1-1R64-IRS495-274 and 1-1R64-IRS495-278, IR64 wild type) for future feeding and bioavailability studies.
· The site is inside IRRI experimental station which will be supervised solely by authorized personnel/staff during the entire season of the trial
· The entire harvested transgenic seeds will be packed in hermetically-sealed aluminum foil packages and stored in locked seed room dedicated to the storage of transgenic seeds only. This transgenic seed storage room is located in J. J. Lampe Bldg., IRRI
· All rice straws/stubbles will be ploughed under the trial site.
· The trial site will be left fallow for 30-45 days after harvest and volunteer plants will be plowed under the trial site.
· The field trial will be accessed only by the authorized staff who are directly involved in the experiment. Only DOST-BC-approved visitors could access the site.
· Plant material movements will strictly follow the relevant biosafety and phytosanitary requirements of the Philippine Government.
· Accidental release will be taken cared of by cleaning the site affected by accidental release.
· In the extreme case that an accident arises in the field site, all plant materials in the experimental plots will be plowed back into the soil.
· Any case of sabotage will be immediately reported to the appropriate authorities.
|Conditions for Approval
a) Before commencing with the activities, the DOST-BC and the Post Entry Quarantine Station, Bureau of Plant Industry (PEQS-BPI) shall inspect and approve the proposed site for the confined test (CT) located at Block D20-23 of the IRRI Experimental Station, Los Baños, Laguna
b) Prior to the initiation of the activities, the proponent/s shall discuss the monitoring schedule with the DOST-BC and the PEQS-BPI to identify the activities that will require their presence. The proponent/s shall furnish the DOST-BC and the PEQS-BPI with a copy of the agreed monitoring schedule.
c) The DOST-BC approved Project Information Sheet (PIS) shall be posted for three (3) consecutive weeks in at least three (3) conspicuous places in the barangay and/or city/municipal halls where the proposed activities will be conducted. The PIS should be posted at least 15 days before the actual transplanting of seeded transgenic rice in the confined test site. Proof of posting of the PIS, which may either be a certification from the duly authorized barangay leader(s) or an affidavit executed by the Proponent, should be submitted to the DOST-BC within ten (10) days from the last day of posting.
d) The proponent shall adhere as closely as possible to the schedule of implementation and monitoring activities for this project.
e) Modifications in the planting schedule and other activities may be made only with the concurrence of the IBC and DOST-BC.
f) At least 150m physical or temporal reproductive isolation of the GMO shall be observed at all times.
g) All confinement measures should be in place before the actual transplanting of rice seedlings.
h) The proponent shall ensure that only authorized personnel are allowed inside the confined test site.
i) The DOST-BC and the PEQS-BPI shall be informed in advance of any visitations by unauthorized personnel.
j) The DOST-BC and the PEQS-BPI shall be informed immediately of any intrusion by unauthorized persons.
k) The proponent shall ensure that stray animals are excluded from the test site while trials are being conducted.
l) The proponent shall ensure the security of the trial, the project personnel and field workers, and the monitors.
m) In case of undue destruction of the experimental materials resulting from unauthorized entry of personnel or breach of containment of the CT facility, the proponent must implement measures to prevent the inadvertent escape of any viable material in the site.
n) The proponent and the supervising IBC shall be held accountable for the undue destruction of the experimental materials and the consequences that its inadvertent escape may cause to the surrounding environment.
o) The rice grains or any plant part shall not be eaten or fed to humans, wildlife and livestock.
p) The proponent shall provide a space within the test site for disposal of the used plant materials.
q) The harvested grains shall be properly labeled and stored at the designated Seed Storage Facility where transgenic seeds are kept, while plant materials and other plant debris generated shall be buried in a pit within the test site or plowed under.
r) The proponent shall leave the test site fallow for at least 30 days. During the fallow period, the proponent shall strictly monitor emergence of volunteer plants and plant pests/diseases within the site for two (2) consecutive weeks after harvest. Furthermore, the proponent shall coordinate with the PEQS-BPI personnel during this period for the monitoring of the fallow site. If necessary, the proponent may irrigate the test site to induce germination of seeds. Any volunteer plants that will emerge, or any ratoon residues shall be uprooted and disposed either by plowing under or by burying in the pit intended for transgenic plant biomass within the confined test site.
s) The proponent shall comply with additional requirements that the DOST-BC may impose, as necessary, during the experiment period.
t) The proponent shall submit, through the IBC, a completion report 90 days after the official completion of the experiment which shall be determined by the PEQS-BPI monitors upon accomplishment of all post-harvest monitoring of volunteers.
u) The IBC shall submit to the DOST-BC a report on all its monitoring activities, upon completion of this project, in the prescribed format